Tuesday, May 22, 2012

D16y8 Engine Build Pt. 3

For this installment I will addressed two machining processes. 1st the surfacing of the sleeves. 2nd boring of the cylinders.

1. After the sleeves were clamped in place for about 24 hours it was time to remove the clamps and continue machining. Recommended procedures for sleeve installation requires that the sleeves actually protrude beyond the deck @.001", this is done to allow for any settling, if any. As you have read in an earlier post the deck has been surfaced. The before measurement gave me about .022" of an inch above deck so a few passes then netted me .001" protrusion. That's done let's move on.

2. Boring of the cylinders is normally not very exciting except when blueprinting a block for performance. Our cnc locates the cylinders using a touch probe, this is acceptable for a regular rebuild. But, for this one I checked the numbers and found the end to end spacing really close and the side to side spacing varied by .007". Normally that doesn't bother me but I went ahead and corrected the positions for the best possible spacing. I also went ahead and bored it to accommodate 75.25mm because of my special b series rods have been narrowed enough to make them fit in the bore. More on them later.
Until next time,
Matt W.
Ntx Machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment